Saturday, December 4, 2010

Bukowski

I think this is the first time I've written to entries in one night. I have a lot to write about, as I've been thinking a lot lately. Still, I don't want to bombard my blog with 5 entries in one night.

Anyway, I wanted to post two really cool poems by one of my favorite authors, Charles Bukowski. He's a classic example of a guy that was a total asshole, but for some reason, a genius. I mean, he was a raging alcoholic. But he wrote some really touching things. Hence, he's become a hero for all working-class alcoholic recluses all over the Earth. Even though I'm not an alcoholic, his poem "Bluebird" helped me a lot during the summer. I would just sit at night and listen to the youtube recording of it. It still means a lot to me. I can really relate to what he's saying. It's like he wrote down my thoughts. "The Man With the Beautiful Eyes" is a really nice poem too. Links are down at the bottom. Enjoy.

"Bluebird" Recording: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqtF_iKBqlI
"Bluebird" Animation http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsc3ItAKSLc
"The Man With the Beautiful Eyes" Rec./Anim.: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9WI9Zn0lRs


"Bluebird"
there’s a bluebird in my heart that wants to get out but I’m too tough for him. I say “stay in there. I’m not going to let anybody see you”

there’s a bluebird in my heart that wants to get out but I poor whiskey on him and inhale cigarette smoke and the whores and the bartenders and the grocery clerks never know that he’s in there

there’s a bluebird in my heart that wants to get out but I’m too tough for him. I say “stay down, do you want to mess me up? do you want to screw up my works? you want to blow my book sales in Europe?”

there’s a bluebird in my heart that wants to get out but I’m too clever. I only let him out at night sometimes when everybody’s asleep. I say “I know that you’re there so don’t be sad”. Then I put him back but he’s singing a little in there. I haven’t quite let him die. And we sleep together like that, with our secret pact ,and it’s nice enough to make a man weep…but I don’t weep. 

Do you? 

2 comments:

  1. I've always been weary of poems with no rhyme or structure because its hard for one to differentiate where creative art begins and random rambling ends. Its the kind of art that any drunk to great scholar could gain acclaim for with the right topic and luck. That's why I gave up on it a long time ago until recently...My last poem was "Heartbreaker", a poem that(oddly enough)was supposed to be a declaration of new love but premeditated my heart break. interesting how good works of art become truer more and more as time goes by .

    ReplyDelete
  2. True. But if you think about it, a lot of lyrics are just rambling. Non-structural poetry can be good. I think the oral presentation of this poem does it more justice than just reading it silently. I happen to like Bukowski because I can relate to a lot of his works, just like I said.

    I don't think I've ever read your poetry before. Gotta let me read it sometime :3

    ReplyDelete