Saturday, December 4, 2010

butter on a summer's day

You know, I always hear people talking about what the saddest songs ever are. But I don't think there can ever be a definite "saddest song ever", because everyone gets different emotions out of all works of art. Sometimes a song can be very emotional for a certain person, but nothing for someone else. We all have a certain song that gets to us.

In my opinion, the saddest songs I've ever heard are "Megan" by the Smoking Popes, Bayside's cover of "Megan", and "I Keep a Diary" by Braid.

Smoking Popes' original "Megan" is at first glance, a sappy love song. But it's like, really deep. The band never spoke about the song's real meaning, but the basic idea of it is that 'Megan' is gone, and the guy tries everything imaginable to get to her. He looks for her until he "has to go", and he dies. The Smoking Popes' original evokes a lot of emotion because their singer is really freaking good. He's like Frank Sinatra singing for an indie band. And the electric guitars have a sad tone. Bayside's cover is also great because it sounds like it's their own song. The singer's voice goes along really good with the song; his voice always sounds tired, just like the song's character must be. Man, I remember I felt really melancholy for days after I heard it. Maybe it's just me, because no one else seems to get it. You see what I mean? Not everyone gets the songs you might get.

Braid's "I Keep a Diary" is one of the few songs that is sad because of the instrumentation. The guitars are perfect, they sound bleak, but still very emotional. And the drums are really nice too. I think the lyrics are pretty much about letting go of the past. "Come on, come on, so long, so long, move on, move on". One of the best choruses ever.

Lyrics will be posted at the bottom, as always. I think I might write another entry tonight, so make sure to be up. See ya next time :]

"Megan" - Smoking Popes/Bayside

butter on a summer day when shes around,
i was on the tracks when the gate came down.
suddenly i recognized, those bloodshot rear view mirror eyes of mine.
i heard that whistle call my name.
i almost drove away.
but Megan i, had a feeling that you would be on that train,
so i just waited there for you.

got a ride to another town, where the air was clean,
and the sun never goes down.
everyone was standing in a line, between the landing and the stairs.
i heard somebody call my name.
i almost climbed the stairs...
but Megan i, had a feeling that someday you'd meet me there.
so i just waited there for you.

butter on a summer day when i hear that name,
a dream that never came true.
sat down on the tracks and waited for a train,
to take me back to you.
somebody came and took my hand..
i finally had to go,
but Megan i, just want you to know.
i waited as long as i could.

butter on a summer day when shes around... 

"I Keep a Diary" - Braid

ten ten ninety seven
rock springs wyoming hotel
as far as i can tell
i just don't miss you anymore
yawn and the tears tear
streams down the sink
you know what i think?
i can never yawn again

come on so long move on

one two and three
i can see exactly
just where you ruined me
nineteen i said i hated you
but kissed you on twenty-two
and music together
i meant it for a moment
twenty-two and through and through

come on so long move on

I'll keep you here
right next to me
and i promise to wait
if you say you're still coming.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting topic. My saddest songs (in no particular order)
    "Winner Takes It All" by Abba
    "Samson" By Regina Spektor
    "While My Guitar Gently Weeps"by the Beatles
    Most Sad to Me: "Servant of Evil" by Vocaliod
    The music is dramatic. don't let the fact that its a anime fool you, it makes your heart break.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You like Abba? I didn't know that. They're pretty good, my mom plays them sometimes. The Beatles made some pretty heartbreaking songs. "Eleanor Rigby" is pretty damn sad. I think Regina Spektor is really good at showing her emotions in her music.

    Dude, I've never gotten what Vocaloid is about. I know it's based on music, but what's the plot?

    ReplyDelete