Sunday, December 26, 2010

i am everything i am not

I'm currently mapping out my best-of-2010 list. Not in my head, but on my computer. Today I might post some other stuff, like my favorite live albums/EPs/splits, my biggest disappointments, and my most anticipated for 2011. I had to delete the music survey I made because it was just too damn long. It'll be up on my last.fm journal sometime soon.

But I wanted to take a short break and talk about a realization I had a couple days ago. I noticed that I like punk that indie kids like and indie that punk kids like. I also like hip-hop and hardcore that indie kids like. So, it's like I'm an indie kid but at the same time I'm not. You all know I hate all these dumb labels, but whatever, this is for fun. What I also noticed is that I tend to hate more popular artists in these genres, except for maybe '90s gangster rap. But I hate all those popular punk bands. Like; Dropkick Murphys and The Misfits? Loathe them. Indie bands such as Arctic Monkeys and Muse? They're better than the bands I just mentioned, but they're overrated. It's no secret I also hate mainstream hip-hop, if you can even call it hip-hop. Remember kids, Rap - Lies = Hip-Hop. I tend to be driven away from popular hardcore bands as well. 

I know that most people would take this as elitism. But it's honestly not. I try with all these genre's popular artists and I can't help it. It's like the popular artists from most genres are the most stereotypical. The more popular a genre is, the more it is true. The most popular from those I mentioned is punk. Punk gathers people from all ages, but mostly teenagers like us. Teenagers don't give a flying diarrhea stain about anything other than being a "rebel". Thus, "obscure" bands like Nofx get all the attention. This causes punk bands that actually bring something NEW to the genre to be pushed aside. Were you familiar with Hot Water Music and The Menzingers prior to me talking about them? Unfortunately, probably not. It's not your fault. Blame it on dumb kids that shove aside creative bands for blandness. Then when you talk about hip-hop, people think you mean Lil Wayne. If you're lucky, maybe Tupac. But there's more to hip-hop than that. What about masterminds like Heiruspecs and Prefuse 73? Also, hardcore isn't limited to New York and the '80s. Throw on some Ceremony and Verse for awhile instead. Indie is also abused often. I won't even get into that. POP-PUNK is also severely abused. Blink-182 is practically flawless. New Found Glory too. Pop-punk can be versatile. Look at Transit, Dillinger Four, and Man Overboard. Oh wait, I forgot, it's not punx enough.

This post might offend some people, but IDGAF. I think this is the only time I've freely let out the grumpy middle-aged alcoholic punknews.org reviewer guy inside me. I think I just hate teenagers. And their crappy music. Like I said before, this is a bit elitist, but it's not voluntary. I'm allowed to have my tastes no matter how weird they may be.

2 comments:

  1. I hate teens to, the more I meet. can't wait till I get a job and am able to mingle with intelligent, mature older peoples. teens know nuth'n bout noth'n.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to go to college simply to be around educated people. And colleges have indie radio stations, so that's a win for everyone :DDD

    ReplyDelete