Tuesday, December 7, 2010

"I don't know if you actually saved my life,

But you changed it, that's for sure." That's from the Smoking Popes song "You Spoke to Me". As this blog continues, I'm going to be posting a good amount of lists. Today I want to make a list of artists/bands/writers that have affected my life insanely. I'll probably write about all of them someday. Just wanted to make a fun little list. I might put little notes too. Oh, and I'll put a little star next to the writers. There's only like two. You guys know I'm a music nerd. Also, it's sorta-kinda in an order, from major to less major, but it's not exactly numbered. Some of these bands I might not listen to the way I used to, I might not listen to them at all. But if they affected me, then they deserve a place. Bombs away.

  • The Gaslight Anthem
  • The Bouncing Souls
  • Rancid (first punk band, when I was a youngin')
  • The Lawrence Arms
  • Eyedea & Abilities (R.I.P Mikey)
  • Hot Water Music
  • Jawbreaker
  • Atmosphere
  • Against Me!
  • Jack Kerouac *
  • Neal Cassady* (actually isn't a writer, but was closely associated with the beat generation)
  • Charles Bukowski *
  • Black Flag (first hardcore band. I was in 5th grade)
  • Rise Against
  • Frank effin' Turner
  • Bayside
  • Banner Pilot
  • Four Year Strong (changed my life this summer)
  • Have Heart
  • American Football
  • Sundowner
  • Nujabes (R.I.P, died in February this year. Favorite turntablist. )
  • Brother Ali (he's an albino muslim. And an amazing human being too)
  • Sage Francis
  • Paul Baribeau
  • Blink-182
  • Sublime
  • Menzingers
  • Samiam
  • The Beatles
  • Tupac
  • Biggie Smalls (if you say his name 3 times in a mirror, you get shot. Try it)
  • Tom Waits
  • Teenage Bottlerocket (started my love for "ramones-core", aka, very poppy-punk)
  • Less Than Jake
  • Aesop Rock
  • Descendents
  • The Smiths
  • Lucero (country-punk band, not the Mexican singer. Fights over it are crazy.)
  • Bad Religion
  • Lagwagon
This list will have more as the years progress. Maybe next year I'll make another one. Since it's the end of 2010, y'all will be getting a lot of Nazzy-nostalgia. Now, like I said before, some of these bands I don't listen to as much, but I still admire them a lot. For example, Sublime, Lagwagon, and Less Than Jake. I didn't add bands that I used to listen but no longer admire. I used to listen to some embarrassing stuff, guys. I used to totally dig the Misfits and Linkin Park. That was yearrrss ago. In like 4th grade. The Bouncing Souls were really the band that changed everything for me, even if The Gaslight Anthem are my favorite ever. Well, see ya next time duderinos.

4 comments:

  1. BIIIIIIIIIITCH U SPELL blink-182 LOWER CASE b n00b!
    I don't CARE how the newfags who discovered blink this year spell it now, real blink fans spell it OLE SK00L
    *laugh* yeah i love that band, its the band of my childhood. you know the first non-barney-or-nursery-rhyme song i learned was Windmill" by blink 182? I was,like,7. XD

    DA BEATLES<3 This band effected my art and writing tremendously when i rediscovered them in Middle (i grew up on them to, but only their Elvisy older stuff. non of the more controversial and political work they did later on that I like so much better.

    When I first heard Teenage Bottlerocket I heard ALL I love about Punk: Raw,Suburban, feel good but with a edgy grittiness. I like :)

    I like the Descendants song "Suburban home" (their,like,most known song)lol thats it :<

    good luck on that list, can't wait :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. okay, "All The Small Things" by blink-182 BUT Windmill was the subheading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgot to spell it lowercase D:<
    lolz It's awesome that you learned it when you were 7 though. I came to love pop-punk recently.

    The Beatles were the only good band I listened to before I got into punk music. For real.

    I think Teenage Bottlerocket are one of the best punk bands right now. You should also check out The Lillingtons. The singer from TBR was in that band when he was in high school, and they made like 4 albums. :D

    ReplyDelete