Monday, December 13, 2010

updates and drums

I feel much better than yesterday. Totally more chilled. I got to spend a nice, quiet day.

So far I've gone through almost ten of the albums on my list. There's been some that have a guaranteed place in my top ten, while others I totally loathed. I skipped over one today, because everyone kept saying it was total suck. Then of course there's the mediocre albums that might get a place in my runners-up section. But we'll see how things turn out later on, shall we?

I think you've all met up with those guys that are always ranting about their favorite guitar players and such. You know, claiming that "so-and-so is the best guitarist EVAR." I hate that. All musicians nowadays are judged on their speed, not on skill. How lame. Back in the days of jazz and such, speed really didn't matter. What mattered was melody, rhythm, groove, and power. One of the reasons I have a thing for jazz even if I don't listen to it often.

But back on subject, I'm sure you all also know that I started playing drums this year. I occasionally look up drumming videos out of curiosity. Dude. On every damn video all I see is kids claiming that if a drummer goes slow then he's worthless. By that logic, only rock drummers are good. And you know kids, my favorite drummer is not a rock drummer. I believe that hip-hop and jazz is more difficult to play than rock. You have to keep a steady, yet groovy rhythm and if you mess up, you're dead. Wanna take some guesses? My favorite drummer in the history of forever is Ahmir "Questlove" Thompson from The Roots. The Roots are a hip-hop band, not a group, a band. They play instruments. It gives them such a gorgeous, rich sound. Questlove has some of the smoothest drum playing ever. Oh, and he has a huge awesome afro too. Win? I think so.

I just wanted to share that with you guys. See ya next time.

1 comment:

  1. Without jazz, we wouldn't have rock. and fast isn't always better, your right. nice entry.

    ReplyDelete