Friday, January 28, 2011

october in the railroad earth

You know what really grinds my gears? Hetalia. Effing Hetalia. Now every time I search for a certain country on DeviantArt, I get little chibis running around in Nazi uniforms. I was doing a search for "America" right now, searching for some New York City in the '20s sort of thing, and all I got was damn Hetalia. Ugh. But who cares, it's just another weeaboo magnet.

Now that I'm done venting that frustration, let's talk about something nice. You know which type of music is so very often misinterpreted? Jazz. People think it's old person music. Or that all of it is the kind of stuff you here in elevators. Gosh, they're wrong. That's how it is now. But back in jazz's heyday, jazz hipsters were anything but boring. For those that don't know, hipster wasn't always a word used to describe college kids who steal their parents cash and debate over what is ironically cool or not. Hipster used to be a word to describe artists, of any kind, that were completely dedicated to their art and didn't really give a flying banana about anything else. Usually it was used for poets and musicians. Also, I really hate that smooth jazz crap they play in elevators. Screw that. It sucks. It's totally void of any real emotion. My personal favorite form of jazz is bebop jazz. It's rad. Thelonious Monk is probably my favorite jazzman right now. Oh, and John Coltrane and Charlie Parker are really great too.

I've always had an affinity for anything having to do with the '40s and '50s. That was one of America's highest points. There's something really magical about everything. That explains why I really love bebop-jazz and old fashioned diners and railroads and beat generation writers. I don't listen to jazz often, but I think I make it obvious that I have loads of respect for it. I once heard someone say that jazz music is the most free form of musical expression. I think that maybe they're right. Emotions in jazz are like, very...layered, for lack of a better word. There's a lot of flexibility. And since most of it is instrumental, the expression depends on the instruments. I think that it might just be the most free form of music. It doesn't even have a snobby fanbase behind it, so that helps a lot. Maybe it's not exactly the most free form of expression, but it can be really diverse. 

So that's all. Just wanted to give somewhat of an update and share with y'all a little thing that brings me joy. See ya next time.

1 comment: