Sunday, January 16, 2011

when i arrive, i won't know anyone

Today I want to comment on something that is very hard for me to put into words without being offensive. As we all know, I am a devout Christian. However, I can't stand most mainstream Christian music. I don't mean like Christian hardcore, which I talked about earlier. I mean like the stuff they play at churches. That modern rock-esque stuff. Damn. How do I say this without being offensive.

Maybe it's all a matter of taste. But I don't know. All that stuff sounds and feels so forced. That's subjective though. For me personally, I'd rather listen to a band with a Christian songwriter than listen to a Christian band. Unless it's a Christian band from a genre I actually like. Praise music seems to only target those who are already Christian. I know it's not always true, but let's face it, most of the time it is. It also mostly targets middle-aged people. Also, a Christian's life isn't composed of only praise. We all have our demons. We all have had our doubts and strayed away a little. That's why I love it when a band's songwriter is Christian. A lot of these people write about everyday problems and doubts from a Christian perspective. So it can be taken from a secular point of view but has more meaning if you're Christian. Now, being a Christian, this is all very hard for me to say and I feel like a traitor. I guess I just don't like...this modern mentality. I'd rather be left alone and tested than be around a group of Bible study kids. Is that bad? I don't hate modern Christians at all. I just hate how modern Christianity seems so soulless. Is that just me? I hope not.

Since I ranted so much about mainstream Christian music, I might as well share my favorite underground Christian song. I think one of the best Christian songs ever is "Jesus Christ" by Brand New. 

"And I will die all alone
And when I arrive I won't know anyone

Jesus Christ, I'm alone again

So what did you do those three days you were dead?
Because this problem is going to last
More than a weekend"


That's some really deep stuff right there. Brand New is a really good example of the kind of bands I wish there were more of. But if anyone is interested, there's also Thrice, The Hold Steady, Against Me!, The Gaslight Anthem, Smoking Popes, Braille, and Sufjan Stevens.


Speaking of Sufjan Stevens, I don't know much about him, but yesterday I listened to this one song by him called "John Wayne Gacy, Jr." named after the serial killer. It's basically telling John Gacy's life story and then it takes an unexpected turn.

"And in my best behavior
I am really just like him
Look beneath the floorboards
For the secrets I have hid"


Of course, Sufjan isn't a serial killer. What he's saying that we are all sinful. And that we all hide it. We are all the same, though we don't seem like it.

Hopefully you'll listen to those songs. I guess I've never heard stuff that deep in modern Christian rock. I wish it would be more like that. Remember, there's nothing wrong to be a Christian and admit moments of doubt or sadness. That's how I look at it.

2 comments:

  1. I think it's because there aren't a lot of interesting young Christians any more...they are in the religion because Mummy and Daddy told them to be, so clearly you can't have any interesting bible studies. You know how we discuss passages or ideals in the bible and exchange and discuss religious literature?... Nazzy, what do you think they DO in bible study; drink tea and talk about baby Jesus?? It's just that most young kids FREEZE UP and their minds go blank; I know, I've been there in christian classes. I'll be more engaged with you in ten minutes then in a half a hour with a classroom of dumb kids.

    And that music SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKS. I'm a Catholic that's had all the bells and whistles, Communions and Confirmations, and I'll say it: It's shit. They play that in hopes it'll be more "young" and "hip" to attract the youth into the Church, word daddy-o. But it isn't otherworldly,spiritual, or worshipful. It's just shameful, embarrassing, with our culture and history slowly dissipating with every Kum-By-Ya song. You can still found Churches that do the Old Rite, you just have to look and spend more gas looking for them. Eric maps 'em out where ever he goes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's why whenever I meet a real Christian kid I'm like, "Oh em gee." I mean, Christianity isn't a boring subject to study. Bible studies are dull. Not Christianity.

    It really does SUCK. It just sounds so damn fake. I think that like half of them are in it for the cash. Why can't Christian music be poetic and insightful instead of all this wannabe hip stuff? But also, you don't have to be a scholar either. Just be heartfelt. Don't get in it for the money. Do it out of love. That's why I've been digging more into Christian hardcore and indie.

    ReplyDelete