Monday, February 14, 2011

these Grammys are grinding my gears.

Hey y'all I know it's the day of love and all that, and I'm gonna write a entry related to that later, but I wanted to take some time to comment on something that has grinded my gears.

Alright, so did you watch the Grammy Awards last night? Yeah, neither did I. But I made my daily visit to AbsolutePunk.net today, and noticed that a small indie rock band named The Arcade Fire won album of the year for their album The Suburbs. Now take note, they were up against monsters like Eminem, Lady Gaga, and Justin Bieber. For everyone involved in alt. subculture, this is a huge win. Rejoice. Because one of us won a Grammy award. So, be happy for that.

But remember that we live in America. The general public was not aware of The Arcade Fire. That ignorance has resulted in this: 
http://whoisarcadefire.tumblr.com/
Take a stroll through that site, then come back here. I'm calling it ignorance because the general public wants to be ignorant. "OMG! WTF is Arcade Fire? I can't believe talentless hacks lost to an honest, hard-working band!" That was satire, of course. The average teenager has many more misspellings. Oh and some people confused the band's name for the album's name. How much more stupid can you take? Awards shouldn't be a damn popularity contest. Our boys and girls in The Arcade Fire had an amazing album. And they're amazing people too. If you look up some videos from last night on Youtube, you'll see they were so cool about everything. Like, they were genuinely excited and having fun. Honestly I'm not a huuuuge fan of this band, even though this entry makes me sound like I am. I just have a lot of respect for them, even before this. I know I'm taking this a bit too seriously. Well, maybe not. I'm sure you understand.

While we're on this subject; why are people so damn afraid of new art? Like, all they want to do is stick to what they know. Maybe it's because I have a never-ending thirst for art that this annoys me. But honestly. Give someone your iPod, and they won't ever bother taking a second look at your artists. Geez. It's like they're scared of new discoveries. I'm not like that. Right now, I have like 4 albums on my computer I still haven't listened to. I wouldn't mind a couple more. Art is wonderful, I want to take it all in.

But yeah, duderinos. Rejoice in Arcade Fire's victory and take a crap on the general public's ignorance. The other artists didn't deserve it. Eminem is a fucking douchebag. Justin Bieber and Katy Perry don't bring anything new. Lady Gaga gets too much attention. Everyone is saying that Eminem got robbed. Pfft. Oh please, he won in two or three more categories. Really, the only cool thing about the Grammys was Arcade Fire. I was hoping for The Roots to win best rap album, but as fucking always, Eminem took home the award. That's another thing. Why do people like to be hated nowadays? Okay, getting off track. See ya next entry. That will be posted in a little while, hopefully.

1 comment: